What qualifications do I need to charter a bareboat sailing/motor yacht?
To charter a sailing yacht in Greece it is necessary for the skipper to have a sailing certificate proving his competence. If no such certificates are issued in your home country, you will be required to present a reference from your yacht club verifying your ability to sail.
How do I book?
Choose the area and type of yacht you prefer, along with your dates, and contact us. We will apply to your request on the same day on which we receive your e-mail, quoting you available yachts and prices.
When you have received our quotation and offer, you can either confirm the booking or request an option.
Options can be held for a maximum of 3 days. Should it be necessary to extend the option, please contact us and we will try to extend it.
Confirm the charter as requested. We shall reconfirm your booking by E-mail.
The contracts have to be signed and returned to us with the exception of your copy, together with the requested down payment. Along with the charter agreement you should send to us a complete crew list with all passport numbers, copy of the skipper’s sailing Certificate.
You should send us also your arrival details on time.
How and when should I pay?
Down payment will secure your reservation. The final payment of the charter fee is due 30 days prior to your arrival. 1-2 weeks before your starting date you will receive details for your local contact person at the marina and a list of suggested items to bring with you from home for your sailing adventure!
- 25% down payment (of the total charter fee, depending on the booking date) is paid by the bank’s transfer to our account upon contract signing/booking confirmation.
- 25% second payment 91 days prior to embarkation.
- 50% final payment 30 days prior to embarkation.
- If the 2nd / 3rd payment is not paid by the date as stated on the booking confirmation without any notice from the agency/client then Hermes Yachting reserve the right to cancel the charter without returning the advance payments
Down payment by wire transfer (without surcharge) or online payment with credit card (with related credit card fee on top), should be settled within 1 week
Branch Address: 11 Vas. Georgiou str., 18532 Piraeus, Greece
Beneficiary: Hermes Yachting I.K.E.
Beneficiary’s Address: 92-94 Kolokotroni str., 18535 Piraeus, Greece
When do charters begin and end?
All charters begin at 17:00 on the day of departure (normally Saturdays) and typically end at 09:00 on the day of arrival (normally Saturdays). However, you will be kindly asked to return to base on the last evening of your charter (normally Friday evening the latest 18:00). We require this time between charters to do the necessary cleaning/maintenance/service on the vessels.
What does the charter fee include?
Charter rates are in Euro, refer to weekly charter period & include:
- Current VAT 12% (the rate is 50% discount on the full 24% VAT rate applicable, under the condition that the skipper returns stamped, by the port authorities, a declaration which states he arrived at a port which lies at a distance greater than 6nm from the initial port of embarkation).
- Use of yachts with the following equipment: VHF, Radio CD, GPS, Autopilot, Echo sounder, Speedometer, Dinghy with outboard engine, Warm water supply, Sprayhood, Bimini/tent, Blankets.
Charter rates do not include:
- Fuel, water, provisioning, extra linen running expenses & mooring fees
- Provisions: Ask for our provisioning form. Fill it in and email it to us. We’ll take care of it and on your embarkation, your food and beverages will be on-board.
Transfer services from Airport to Base.
Compulsory per charter
- Starter Pack (not commissionable, payable at the base in cash): End cleaning, Outboard engine, Fuel for the outboard engine, Cooking gas, Water, Linen (2 sheets, 1 pillowcase, 1 bath towel per person per week, Mooring fees for the first & last night)
- Yachts with 3 cabins 130€, 4 cabins 170€, 5 cabins 210€, 6 cabins 250€
- Catamarans: 250€
- Embarkation: starting date from 17h00.
- Disembarkation: ending day by 09h00.
- Compulsory: return to base the evening before disembarkation, at 18h00, at the latest. Check-in/out procedures time is part of the charter period.
Optional Crew services:
- Skipper: 190€ per day plus provisioning
- Hostess: 170€ per day plus provisioning, serving breakfast, and one light meal daily.
Optional Charter Packs:
- Internet Pack: Wi-Fi router for Internet on board (10GB), 80€
- Fast Track Pack: Fast track access to the yacht if possible: by 14h00, 150€ per charter
- Late Check-In: Late access to the yacht after 20:00 & Sunday, 100€ per charter
- Transfer from Airport to Base: Upon Request
- Pet Pack: up to 5kg 100€/booking
- SUP (Stand Up Paddle): 80€ per charter week
- Safety net installed: 200€ per charter
- Extra linen: 10€/Set per person/week
- Beach towels: 10€/per piece
- Automatic Life Jacket: 30€ / week
What about security deposit?
The said refundable Security Deposit (2.000-3.500 euro) is required upon embarkation and will cover any damage or loss of the yacht and her equipment during the cruise.
The charterer will provide at Base before embarkation a Security Deposit as per Hermes Yachting offer; payment by credit card, VISA, or MasterCard only (no debit cards).
Security deposit insurance:
- For Yachts with 2.000-euro Deposit: 400 euro non-refundable/week
- For Yachts with 2.500-euro Deposit: 450 euro non-refundable/week
- For Yachts with 3.000-euro Deposit: 500 euro non-refundable/week
- For Yachts with 3.500-euro Deposit: 550 euro non-refundable/week
Security deposit reduction:
- For Yachts with 2.000-euro Deposit: 150 euro non-refundable + 850 refundable
- For Yachts with 2.500-euro Deposit: 175 euro non-refundable + 1000 refundable
- For Yachts with 3.000-euro Deposit: 200 euro non-refundable + 1200 refundable
- For Yachts with 3.500-euro Deposit: 225 euro non-refundable + 1500 refundable
In case I want to cancel my sailing boat charter?
In case you have to cancel your booking, the following terms apply:
Time of Cancellation (Notification to Hermes Yachting in Writing)
Booking canceled, more than 61 days before embarkation, 30% of the total charter fee.
Booking canceled between 60 & 46 days before embarkation, 50% of the total charter fee.
Booking canceled less than 45 days before embarkation, 100% of the total charter fee.
No show / withhold of every paid amount.
Hermes Yachting reserves the right to change or modify any of the terms and conditions, prices list, cancellation policy, at any time and in our sole discretion. Any changes or modification will be effective immediately upon posting of the revisions on this Web page, and you waive any right you may have to receive specific notice of such changes or modifications.
Should I have travel insurance?
As with any vacations, we strongly recommend that your sailing trip be insured against any unforeseen circumstances.
If I need to hire a professional skipper?
We can recommend and hire on your behalf a professional skipper for as many days as you wish. Even if you have experienced sailing, you may still require the services of a professional skipper to make your cruise more relaxing and benefit from the skippers’ local knowledge. There is a set daily fee of € 190 per day for the professional skipper, regardless of the number of people on board. Please remember that the professional skipper needs to be provided with his own cabin, as he is obliged to sleep on board.
Do I need to leave a security deposit when I hire a skipper?
No, for skippered charters an obligatory security deposit insurance will apply with a cost of 250 EUR/week and payable at the base upon embarkation.
What if I wish to embark and disembark from different bases?
This may be possible, but you will be charged an additional cost. The cost varies according to the distance between the two bases. Please check the following. Athens – Dodecanese 700 € | € Athens – Cyclades 600 € | Athens – Sporades 600 €
Are the yachts insured?
All yachts are insured against damage to the hull, machinery and/or equipment. Third party liability is also covered. Nevertheless, personal accidents while on board are not covered and client has to arrange extra for this kind of coverage.
Are the yachts equipped with safety equipment?
All yachts are equipped with life jackets, flares, life raft etc.
What does a crewed charter mean?
A crewed charter is a yacht (sailing, motor or motor sailer), which has crew. You are not required to assist in the operation of the yacht.
Do Ι have any discounts?
We offer the following discounts to our clients.
20% early booking discount, 5% for repeat clients, 5% for two weeks or more charter.
In which areas can I charter a yacht from?
You can charter a yacht from the following destinations: – Greece:
* Saronic Golf or Cyclades/Athens (Kalamaki, Lavrion)
* Ionian Islands (Preveza)
What should I bring with me?
It is better to travel with flexible, soft, foldable luggage. Avoid large, boxy suitcases.
At least two pair of sunglasses with neck chain to avoid loss.
The sun in Greece is especially strong, and therefore a good sunscreen or blocking lotion or cream is necessary. Avoid oily, greasy applications, which are slippery and pose a danger on board. To continue your protection, bring with you after sun lotions or skin softeners.
Prescription or other medications should be brought in quantities to last the duration of your vacation.
For unfettered ocean cruising, casual comfortable clothes are best. Bring at least two bathing suits, T-shirts, shorts and lightweight cotton slacks, jeans and shirts. In April and May and from mid-September through October, evenings and even days may be cool, so please bring a warm sweater or sweatshirt and a light jacket or windbreaker. For entertaining and on-shore dining and dancing, you may wish to have an easy-care dress- up outfit with you.
For protection against the ill effects of prolonged exposure to the sun, a hat, cap or scarf is most important.
Soft or rubber white soled footwear or boat shoes are a must. Wear standard shoes for on-shore use only.
Foul weather gear
This is optional and is occasionally required. Light rainwear however is advisable.
Several beach towels can prove to be quite handy after that delicious dive from the yacht into the cool, clean ocean.
Audio / CDs
Every yacht provides or CD player, so bring your favourite music along.
Although every yacht provides snorkelling gear, we suggest that lovers of underwater activities bring their own snorkel and mask. A special note on scuba diving: Greece’s laws prohibit scuba diving in most of its waters. We strongly recommend not bringing such gear. However, scuba diving is permissible in very limited areas only, and anyone interested can request further information from us regarding the location of these specially designated scuba diving waters.
Is smoking allowed on yachts?
For safety reasons mainly, the prevention of fire and additionally to keeping the interior clean, smoking is not allowed at the cabins but only in deck areas, at the dining room & day areas.
Does my mobile phone work in Greece?
Greece operates on a GSM system most European mobile phones operate here. North American mobile phones which have GSM do work.
Are credit cards accepted on the islands?
Most major credit cards are accepted on the islands except in bars and some restaurants. Most of the islands do have ATM machines.
Can I bring my pet?
If your pet is up to 5kg you can bring it with you by purchasing the Pet pack of 100 EUR per booking.
What kind of additional services do you offer?
The following services are provided if requested with an additional cost.
Yacht Provisioning, Airport Transfers, Hotel Accommodation.
What happens if I have a problem during my charter? / What happens if I run into problems during my trip?
Call us. We will provide you with our mobile numbers prior to your departure make sure when you call us you know your location and try to describe the problem as thoroughly as possible. We have technicians with whom we cooperate in nearly every port of Greece.
Do the yachts have air-conditioning?
Most of the bareboat sailing yachts and catamarans don’t have A/C. For the yachts that have A/C please note that in some harbors the authorities do not allow the generators to run throughout the night. Therefore, if you are on a air-conditioned yacht you may be unable to run the air-conditioning at all times. In such case you can anchor outside the port, weather permitting.
Do harbors in the islands have moorings?
Most islands do not have mooring lines. You need to drop anchor and tie med-style.
What if we arrive at the embarkation base late?
For late arrivals at the embarkation base (after 18:00 hours) please contact us to make the appropriate arrangements.
How do I provision and can I find provisions?
Organize you’re shopping/provisions in advance simply by sending us your requirement provision list two weeks prior to your charter departure. The goods will be delivered directly to your boat just before embarkation. All the bases have supermarkets close by who deliver your provisioning to the yacht.
What does the standard equipment on all sailing yachts include?
Each one of our vessels is fully equipped for charter. For further information please check our Inventory list.
Other than my food, what other costs can I expect?
Other costs, which you should expect, are fuel for the yacht, harbour fees (except home port) which are around EURO 10-50 depending on the port/marina, and water for the yacht.